I am 9 chapters in and aiming for a total of 16 ish, which should come in at approximately 60-70,000 words. The first 3 chapters went off to the proof reader last week; hopefully my spelling is not that bad. Getting these pages ready for proof reading was a task in itself. Every time I thought I had packed the chapters with a wealth of information, more would turn up via research and contact from contributors. This is after all is what this book is about, so that is fantastic.
The book cover has been completed and will look great on a Kindle eBook reader. The cover was designed by a graphic designer from Germany, who ironically enough, is a collector of
U-Boat historical items. The Royal Navy Submarine Museum at Gosport Portsmouth has been very helpful. The RNSM has recently allowed me to use a number of photographs of Unbeaten in the book and on this blog. After much searching I discovered they hold the original negatives from many of the photographs seen at these pages. The Naval researcher Tony Drury has kindly placed a link to the Unbeaten website on his Royal Navy Research website. Tony and I also added a page on his site about HMS/M Unbeaten. This page is well worth a look for those who do not know much about this submarine.
A Naval researcher from Canada has been most helpful in supplying me with information regarding the Italian Navy and in particular Italian vessels sunk by Unbeaten. One of the
highlights of my research so far was discovering the secret documents relating to Unbeatens last operational duties which took place between October and November 1942. For me this was the missing piece of information I never thought I would find. Everyone involved in this project has been very cooperative; I would like to thank you all for your continued support.
David J.B. Smith